Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What is Happening in Our CRAZY World

I know, I know...several folks have told me that miss me updating about what Daddy is doing & how things are going.  The summer has actually been therapy, therapy & more therapy.  Therapy was supposed to stop a couple of different times, but Daddy would show progress so they would extend it a few more weeks.  He is finished w/ OT & PT, but continuing speech the rest of this month.  We are thrilled with that b/c he has really seemed to be saying a few more words or at least understandable ones the last week or so.  The rule with therapy is that you have to be making progress for it to continue so that is good that he has gone this long.  We like therapy b/c that means there is improvement!!!

His PT is in the process of getting him a special splint for his paralyzed hand & arm so we are hoping that will be a good thing for him to have.  We bought him a new recliner a few weeks ago & he LOVES it!!!  After Daniel got it set up, he sat down & said AHHHH!!!  Much better than the wheelchair for sure!

We had an exciting Labor Day weekend (not necessarily fun, but exciting)!  Saturday night about 10:30, Mom found Daddy in his recliner with all limbs board stiff & straight, moaning & shaking.  She immediately called 911.  Once we got to the hospital, everyone concluded that he had a TIA (mini-stroke) b/c his CT didn't show any new stroke damage & TIA's only show on a MRI.  He was back to normal by the time he arrived at the hospital, but they admitted him then did more tests on Sunday morning. 

A friend had gone with me so I wasn't alone & she decided to come on back home once we knew nothing was life threatening.  I told her to call me as soon as she got home since it was between 1-2 am.  She called & I immediately said are you home...her response was no I hit a deer!!  I was horrified that she was injured.  She promised she was fine but she was worried about my van!  I reassured her that was the least of my worries as long as she was ok.  The van is at the repair shop & we are waiting on word regarding the damage.  Again, I am just so thankful that she is ok.  Those deer can really cause terrible injuries! I finally made it home about 4 so I slept for a few hours then headed to church.  The kids & I came home ate a quick bite then crashed for a few hours before heading to the hospital while Daniel worked.

Sunday afternoon, we found out that Daddy's episode was actually a seizure which they were able to begin meds for to help prevent them in the furture.  For the next 2 weeks, he cannot be left alone which he had been doing while Mom was at school.  He likes his alone time & does well so it is good for both of them to have a little time on their own.  Anyway, he is going to be my sidekick for the next few days while she is teaching preschool until he is cleared to be alone again.  The doc wants to make sure the med is working so that if he does have another seizure he can be protected from being hurt.

That was probably the scarest thing Mom has ever seen!!!  Needless to say that we were thrilled for the episode to be somethign that can be managed by meds instead of the TIAs where you never know when they will happen & they cause additional brain damage.

That pretty much recaps the Labor Day weekend!  Please pray that while he is adjusting to the meds that he doesn't have any more seizures!  Also that his speech will continue to show progress & that his therapist would keep extending time!!  What a blessing!

I can't stop without a couple of pictures of Shawn & Anna Kate...you know he would be showing them off & talking about them non-stop to you so I'll do it for him :-)

After a stressful night in the hospital, we decided to take the kids to do something fun.  We went to Marketplace in Conway for dinner with the intention of enjoying a Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mess for dessert!  I need a serious chocolate fix & that was the cure!

AK thoroughly enjoyed it don't you think?!?! We all did for the record!!
That's a happy chocolate face!!!
Shawn had his 1st day of 4th grade at a new school!  Shawn started at Arkansas Baptist this year.  We are very excited about this for him & it has been a good transition.  He is playing tackle football...not sure how I feel about that, but he has made some good friends & has enjoyed it!

AK actually had her 1st day of Preschool today!!!  She has been so excited to go to school!  She was the snack leader today which made it even better!
(These pics aren't great b/c they're from my phone.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, I only heard part of the story today from your Mom! We will definitely be praying for him and the new medicine and no more seizures! Sophie had a great day today too and loved your Mom and being the snack leader too! She will love being in Preschool with "Anna-Cake!" let us know if we can do anything to help! E